Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Summer Fare

I have this thing where I convince myself that if it's healthier, it tastes better. It's really a wonderful fault that I have - To be able to lie to myself and believe it so emphatically. Anyway, since falling in love w/ a self proclaimed "meat-a-tarian" I have indulged on a few things I had previously (maybe subconsciously) sworn off of. Namely, red meat. I admit, I'd eat it every once in a while, but I never really missed it. Anyway, ever since Noah and I discovered our little hole in the wall, local favorite, Jake and Mikes, I've fallen for a sandwich I never thought I would consider. Jake and Mikes is famous for their Russian Reuben. I usually opt for the Turkey version, but every once in a while I splurge and split the corned beef with Noah. I find that I am now a little obsessed with anything that touts the name "Reuben" and I came across this recipe in Rachael Ray's latest mag. I am determined to give it a try. Seems so summery...and unhealthy...and YUM-O!

Cape Cod Reuben



Ingredients:
One 12-ounce bottle lager beer, such as Samuel Adams 1-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon paprika 3 cups cabbage slaw mix 1/2 cup Russian dressing 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying Four 6-ounce, 1/2-inch-thick cod or red snapper fillets 8 slices rye bread 8 slices Swiss cheese Directions:In a large bowl, whisk the beer, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, the salt and paprika until smooth. Chill for 30 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine the slaw mix and 1/3 cup Russian dressing.

Preheat the broiler. Meanwhile, in a deep skillet, heat the oil until it registers 375° on a deep-fat thermometer. Place the remaining 1/4 cup flour on a large plate. Working 1 at a time, coat the fish fillets with the flour, shaking off any excess, then coat with the beer batter. Lower the fish into the oil and cook, turning occasionally, until brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

Place the bread on a baking sheet; broil until toasted. Transfer toasted side down onto a work surface. Spread the remaining Russian dressing on 4 slices, then top with the fish, slaw, cheese and remaining bread slices, toasted side up.

3 comments:

  1. Love your new blog! This sandwich does look delicious! And what a great picture of you and your sweetie on the side-bar. Hear you're getting married soon. I'm sure you will be a most gorgeous bride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...not long and you'll be married. SOO COOL! You guys look like a great pair. More pics please.

    I love that this recipe is made with fish...sounds great! Might have to try it out....let me know if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummo!! I'm not a fan of red meat either friend... but Ryans a BIG meat and potato man...so i found ome things i like. It's weird i hate red meat this pregnacy... but craved it with parker and conner... and swore it off after HS when i lost my weight...i'm kinda hoping i dont crave it after brady so i can loose my weight finally! lol

    ReplyDelete